You scream, I scream, we all scream for Ice Cream!
Yeah, you guessed right, I made ice cream! I found this wonderfully, to-simple-to-be-good recipe for home made ice cream without the use of an ice cream maker. The recipe is all credited to this http://mariannmat.wordpress.com/ talented norwegain lady!
All you simply need, is this!
- 6 egg yolks
- 120 grams of sugar (I used my home-made vanilla sugar)
- 400 ml cream
- Seeds from 1 vanilla pod. (Highly recommend UK readers to buy their vanilla pods from Holland and Barrett. They beat every supermarket on price and quality!)
- Lemon zest from 1 lemon
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 2 additional tablesoons of sugar (for the lemon mix)
Start of grating your lemon zest, the smaller the better. I thought the lemon zest in the ice cream was to chunky so next time I’ll try using the rasp side (the knobbly bit under the grater I’ve used in the picture) to try and get an even smaller zest.
Seperate all 6 egg yolks from the white. If you’re not comfortable seperating them in the eggshells, pop the yolk very carefully in your clean hand and let the white spill into a different bowl.
You’ll be doing ALOT of whisking. I recommend using a food processor to do this job. You have to wisk the egg and sugar until it is so stiff that you can turn the bowl upside down, without the mix spilling out. It took me about 35 minutes to wisk these 6 yolks and sugar with a handheld wisk.
Its very important to stirr the ice cream every hour, atleast for the 4-5 first hours.
This ice cream is absolutely lush! And really simple as long as you got the time for it. It tastes so fresh and creamy. However I have a few adjustments that I’d like to try out for next time.
- Use single cream instead of double
- Wisk the cream ever so slightly less, it was troublesome to blend in without taking the air out of the egg mix
- More lemon juice and less zest
- Finer grated lemon zest
I wont recommend to keep this ice cream in the freezer for no more than a week and once its taken out for eating, finish it off.
Enjoy! – I sertainly did!